While scrolling through the reader one day I saw that a fellow blogger had made gummy bears. I was eager to attempt the recipe and began my search for “agar powder” which is basically powdered gelatin in a bottle. After searching at stores such as: Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Mariano’s I turned up empty and ended up purchasing it off of Amazon for $6.99.
The recipe is this.
1/2 cup tart cherry juice
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp agar powder
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Continuously stir.
2. Gradually whisk agar powder into the mixture.
3. Continue heating over medium-low heat until mixture reaches a smooth consistency.
4. Pour mixture into silicone molds (Bought mine off eBay) or ice cube trays.
5. Place in fridge for about 20 minutes.
6. Pop out and enjoy!
Everything was going smooth until the pop out and enjoy part. I swear I let them sit for 20 minutes and although they had a delicious after taste, the texture of the gummy bear was not at all pleasant. It was too slippery.
However I would like to thank you colleenthebrave for this recipe and I’m always excited to try new things. As far as DIY gummies go, I’m going to keep Haribo in business.